Saturday, January 22, 2011

Rain, Wind and Ice

Whenever Cody is gone I worry. But last night when the wind started to pick up I really started worrying. It probably doesn't help that I went and looked at the marine forecast and seen how windy it is suppose to be for the next few days. I know that him and his dad are very water smart and spent many winters on the water. But it still scare me.

When I woke up this morning my driveway looked like an ice skating rink! And it still does! I am happy that it is raining because I heard a plane fly and am expecting quite a few packages in the mail. I am patiently awaiting the FuzziBunz Hemp inserts for Hunter's diapers. I really want to get him out the the disposables and try to sell the ones that we just stocked up on at Costco.

I read an article the other night about disposable diapers and I never knew that chemicals were added into the disposable diapers.

Here is some of the things that I read that really scared me:

"Disposable diapers contain traces of 
  • Dioxin (an extremely toxic by-product of the paper-bleaching process.  It is a carcinogenic chemical, listed by the EPA as the most toxic of all cancer-linked chemicals.  It is banned in most countries, but not the U.S)
  • Tributyl-tin/TBT (a toxic pollutant known to cause hormonal problems in humans and animals).
  • Sodium polyacrylate (a type of super absorbent polymer (SAP), which becomes a gel-like substance when wet) A similar substance had been used in super-absorbency tampons until the early 1980s when it was revealed that the material increased the risk of toxic shock syndrome by increasing absorbency and improving the environment for the growth of toxin-producing bacteria."
In May 2000, the Archives of Disease in Childhood published research showing that scrotal temperature is increased in boys wearing disposable diapers, and that prolonged use of disposable diapers will blunt or completely abolish the physiological testicular cooling mechanism important for normal spermatogenesis.


I found this information on: http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php

The article is definitely worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment